Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day at Disney.

I don't know about Easter or Easter Monday, but Easter Tuesday is one of the worst possible times to go to Disneyland. Yep, that's where I was. It was the most crowded I've seen it since a poorly planned trip we made on Christmas Day when I was still a small child.

Look on the brightside; luckily, it wasn't too hot yesterday. It was cool in the shade but bright and sunny overall. We showed up on the early side and it wasn't so bad. A 30 minute wait for Star Tours was followed by a 45-minute wait for Space Mountain. Not horrible, yet by 10 a.m. it was crammed with kids on Spring Break. Then came an HOURLONG WAIT FOR PETER PAN. What? The youngest person in our party was 17. Why are we waiting for this? Soon, a line for Pirates of the Caribbean that looped several times and extended as far as the French Market. Okay, now this is just getting ridiculous.

We sneaked a few quick ones in for the less popular attractions. The real kicker was an estimated 3 hour wait for Splash Mountain. We committed to that and only waited about well 2.5. Great? We board, everyone insists I sit in the front. Chickens. No matter, by the first 2 drops we were all completely soaked. I'm talking drenched here. We kept hitting the bottom pretty hard and the second drop was followed by a hard turn. Water came pouring in. All of our clothes so saturated that water wasn't being absorbed anymore. I picked up my bag containing a purchase I'd made earlier. Water spilled off of it into the water that was already sloshing around in our boat. We weren't even at the big drop yet. Hell, by then, nobody cared. We all hit that last bump and saw sky. Even my mother who usually closes her eyes on "scary" rides kept hers wide open--my cousin did the same.

What the hell was that?

We got off the ride quietly. We took small uncomfortable steps toward the exit. People stared at us. It was as if we'd survived a wreck at sea. Everyone stared and pointed to us and pitied us, I think. We looked like refugees I am sure. I left a water trail wherever I walked. Where am I going? I am disoriented. Water still crashing around in my pants.

We sat on the veranda of the nearby eatery. In the sun, of course, eating fries and onion rings. Strangers came up to us, "Oh my god!...Splash Mountain?" Water pooled around my chair as I ate quietly. My mom would answer, "Yes. Usually we don't get this wet." Hell, that is the understatement of the year.

My theory is this: Splash Mountain is crowd control. They splash you down thoroughly, the sun sets and you give up. You go home. I saw several families leaving around the same time as us. The dads in these families had drippy hair and wet clothes. Sure you leave, but not before buying a pair of pants in the giftshop. $30 for sweat pants. It's genius.

Tip for SoCal residents. show them your CA State ID and they will sell you a 2-fer. That's Disneyland one day, California Adventure on another day for the price of one park. Alternatively, you can do the same with a Park-Hopper and do 2 parks on 2 days for the price of one. It's a great deal if you like Disney at all. I would totally do this again but I would remember to stash an extra set of clothes in a locker. Along with kicking off the summer hours (8 a.m.-12 a.m. at Disneyland; different hours at California Adventure) they obviously have raised the water levels on some attractions. The Carousel is closed for renovations as is Small World (re-doing the boats for the fatties). Don't be stupid and attempt this on a weekend or during the remainder of Spring Break (this week) or wait till summer vacations begin. Also, if you can avoid it, don't go with family. They will drive you batshit crazy and you will want to throttle them by lunchtime.


5 comments:

CitizenRobots said...

Man it SUCKS that it was so crowded.

The wettest I've ever gotten at Disneyland was on that stupid ride in California adventure. You sit in a round thing? And go over some stupid falls? I don't know anymore. Also I should have made some sexual joke about being wet in Disneyland.

IceQueenM said...

Hip hip hooray! Disneyland! I've been that wet on that ride of course it was a lovely hotter than hell day so the wet was welcome. If you go there in a small group and don't care about riding with each other you go in through the exit and they put you on right away as a single rider...same thing with Indiana Jones. Next time I come back we will have to go. The best day of the year to go is the first day of school. It's a ghost town. My whole extended family went one year, we all ditched. Or you can do the wheelchair trick. Gets 6 to the front of the line! Consider it another ride, who wants to play the gimp? Of course since you can drink in California Adventure and at my favorite bar at the Grand Hotel it brings new meaning to the experience of Dland. So there Cari I commented.

SenorCrane said...

I hope you at least got a churro by the Haunted Mansion to help the pain of being soaked to the bone. I swear I own at least two ugly hoodies that I've never worn again because I got wet on rides there.

SenorCrane said...

I think "The Wind" should be a new ride.

Anonymous said...

I had a really great churro recently that ruined me for other churros. It was homemade.

Sorry, Costco and Disneyland.

I had a thing of onion rings at the Hungry Bear.