Thursday, April 05, 2018

Fitness Tracker

My mother gave me an activity/fitness tracker for Christmas 2015.

Aside from a few days in the beginning, I wore this thing, on my wrist, every day of my life. The days I forgot, I felt the way others did: This feels like a waste of walking. I'm not even getting credit for it. I linked the phone app to my food diary app. In addition to step count, I started tracking how much water I drank on the daily, how much I slept every night, my weight, my distance, my other activities.

On Black Friday, November 2017, I upgraded the model I use. New model did everything the old one did, but also tracked the quality of my sleep and my heart rate, counted floors climbed, had breathing exercises, it was a watch, an alarm, a stopwatch, it told me when I had unread emails. I continued to wear it every day. I dutifully charged it every 4 days. I paid good money for it. You can imagine how stunned I was when it died on me.



My fault entirely. I wore it into the ocean. I went on vacation for a week. I took it off every single time I went down to the pool; I dealt with the idea of missing steps between the hotel room and the pool area (quite far, actually). The day I walked into the very calm waters of the Caribbean Sea, I kept it on.

I think when your brain lets go for a week and you're surrounded by beautiful things, you just don't think of your activity/fitness tracker. My partner and I were wading around in the turquoise waters and he pointed to my wrist. "You still have that on. Is it waterproof?"

"I...don't know. I don't remember. I think it's water resistant?" I look at my tracker which still showed me the local time. "Still works. It's 1 p.m."

I looked at it a little later. Dead.

I take it off and rinse it in fresh water. We drive to a local supermarket.

"Donde esta el arroz?"

...

So it's about a month later and I've started wearing a regular wristwatch again. It had been years, so I dug it out of my old things and had the battery replaced at a jewelry store in the Skyway. I'd gotten so used to wearing something there and not pulling my smartphone out to look at the time. I can tell my activity level is not where it was. Since I got back from vacation, there has been no device to ease me back to the real world; nothing to remind me to drink more water or get to bed or to walk instead of taking a bus. I think buying a new tracker would be worth the money but I don't think I should be spending as much on an exact replacement. Or maybe I should go the other way and spend more? I thought I would wait and save some money and look for a deal. Other days I wonder if I am too reliant on seeing the data tracked in the app?

I'm charging the old one right now to see if it still works.

What gets you off the couch?

No comments: